Monday, March 19, 2007

10 Days to Go

As my defense date looms ever larger, I think of Elijah's observation of a clouid the size of a man's hand out in the distance. Eventually, this little cloud encompasses Israel and brings a torrential downpour that ends 3 1/2 years of drought. Obviously, neurotic John is writing today as I think about the cloudburst that will sweep me away into a flood of failure. Only a Ph.D. student could get such a fanciful interpretation out of 1 Kings 18!

Actually, I am pretty calm. I know him in whom I have believed, and win, lose or draw, it's OK. We'll see how that holds out.

Today's Rant: (By the way, this happens when I get stressed--disconnected thought)
TV Preachers, particularly Peter Popoff. Flipping around last night, and saw this charlatan. I simply cannot believe people send this guy money. He takes this glorious gospel and reduces it to ruins. Of course, he's not alone, but he is particularly loathsome to me. His ministry reminds me of any number of scams that prey on the fears and ignorance of truly desperate people. I think the Apostle Paul had something to say about those that mistakenly think the Gospel is a source of great [financial] gain.

Years ago, my mentor cautioned me about being too negative about the health/wealth gospel, believing me to throw the baby out with the bath water. I listened to his advice and held my tongue for a very long time. No more! I feel more strongly about this sham of Christianity than I did 20 years ago. In fact, I'll put it this way. It cannot be a health/wealth gospel because it is NOT the gospel, at least not one Jesus, Peter, Paul or John would recognize.

Blessings to all!

No comments: