Tuesday, March 20, 2007

9 Days to Go

I am not one of the stars in my department. It's taken me an incredibly long time to write my dissertation. I even had to start over once--not a new topic, just the writing. When I think about it, I get exhausted. I'm talking years here (7 to be exact). You'd think I had a tome-like work to present after all that time. No. Just 175 pages or so.

Writing never really intimidated me (as perhaps it should have) until I started writing this thing. I think it just struck fear in my heart to think that I had to write a book. Even though I now get quite a lot of positive feedback on my writing, I am still rather uncomfortable with it. I'm hopeful that once the dissertation is approved that impediment to my writing will dissolve. We'll see.

One thing's for sure--win, lose or draw, it's over. It's done and I can't do anything about it now. There's a certain comfort in that. I have at least finished the project. And, considering the numbers of people who never finish their dissertations, I am pretty happy with that. I know people who went through the program program at Marquette at the same time I did that never finished. Some of them had full rides too. I did not. Am I bragging? Not really. Don't feel like I'm in a position to do that. Some of those folks were a good deal smarter and more well-read than I. They just didn't finish. So, I sit here today (not ranting about TV preachers) feeling the exhaustion and satisfaction of finishing a project. If it's rejected, Plan B. Just don't ask me what that is.

Blessings!

1 comment:

Dru Johnson said...

I, for one, am extremely proud. Well done.

When I was thinking about dropping out of high school, my stepfather sat me down and simply said, "You need to finish school just so you don' t get in the habit of leaving things unfinished." Now I know much more of his biography and those words came from a profound well of incomplete items in his life.

I have come to value those people who persevere to completion the task they begin. I am constantly telling students, "Only mark off the field you're willing to plow," for this very reason. I am finishing this MA in philosophy out of shear determination to complete it. Nothing more.

Whether it's noble or not, I appreciate your dedication to completion. It's so easy to give up and shift our attention, but I find a reflective teleology in our willingness to complete to what we have been called. A willingness to shirk, indicates that a call might not have been there in the first place.

So, thank you John for modeling a teleology of calling!