Saturday, March 24, 2007

5 Days and Counting

Today is Saturday, March 24, 2007. I feel the stress in my back and in my chest. I'm probably making more of this than I need to, but what I feel is what I feel. I told Sue I thought it would be fun for her to take my blood pressure everyday this week, just to see what it does. She assured me that would be a bad idea because that would just give me something else to worry about. She's right, of course, I don't need anything else to worry about at present.

I started reading my dissertation again today. Of course, I found a couple of typos! And, 20% through, I see a couple of places where the argument should be fleshed out a bit more. I wonder what the committee will say. I wonder where their comments will match my own critiques of my work.

One of my friends is dealing with the rejection letters he got from grad schools to which he applied. I'm wondering if I'll have to deal with another kind of rejection in a week. I'm not sure what I'll do if I get shut out, which I know probably will not happen. There are a couple of things I do know though. First, life will go on. There's actually something a bit freeing about saying that--My life will continue. The things I value most will stay as they are presently--the love of my wife and children. Second, I have gained a tremendous amount from this experience, and that education will have an effect (a good one I hope) on the people with which I come in contact. Neither of those things change. My job may change, but who I am doesn't.

I feel better. Bet my BP is down to 160 over 112. Cool!

2 comments:

Jim Ladd said...

Okay, you are starting to obsess just a bit! People do not exercise the effort you have, the grasp of the material you have, and the eloquence to teach you have and fail this process! YOU WILL DO FINE!

Anyway, I say don't read one more word of the dissertation until the night before and do some things you thoroughly enjoy to distract yourself.

You will do fine!!

Love ya!
Jim

John Ragsdale said...

Thanks Jim. You are right. I am the greatest. Seriously, thanks for the reminder. For what it's worth though, people do not get Ph.D.s unless they have the obsessive component to their natures. Wanna know how a watch works? Ask me what time it is!

Love you back.

John